Ethnava chikankari Red Cotton Saree
- Chikankari, which in the literal sense means embroidery is derived from the Persian word ‘Chakin’ which is also pronounced as ‘Chikan’. It is believed that Noor Jehan, wife of Mughal emperor Jahangir introduced Chikankari in Lucknow.
- The origin of Chikankari is initiated by the influence of intricate carving patterns of Mughal architecture during their period. The Chikan work in Lucknow is older than 200 years and later it is patronized by Nawabs. The legacy of chikankari has been passed down from generation to generation through the ever evolving trends of fashion, but we at Ethnava have not wavered from its traditionalism but have also not just ignored the modern trends.
- Sleek and elegant, this Red Cotton Saree is ready to get the spotlight the minute one walks out of the doorsteps. Spruced up with the finest of chikankari stitch- ‘Ulti-Bakhiya’, this saree wraps the body in the most enticing way. A perfectly crafted saree, the scintillating details of ‘Ulti-Bakhiya’ stitches put-downs the artistic stories of Lucknowi chikan embroidery using white cotton thread. This saree is a perfect amalgamation of comfort, royalty, and modernity.
- Ulti Bakhiya is crisscrossing of thread work on fabric- a reverse of shadow work. It gives the look as if the embroidery is itself the texture of the garment.
- The floats of threads lie on the wrong side of the fabric, thereby making a transparent muslin, opaque. ‘Floats of thread’ in very simple language refer to the ‘criss-cross’ pattern made in this stitch. This actually creates a very interesting effect of light and shadow.
Add on to the saree
It can be worn with puff-sleeved blouses, crop tops, or a bell-sleeved blouse. It can also be fashioned with a contemporary version of ‘Dhoti’, and worn as the trendy half-saree. It can also be paired with a belt to give you that coveted mix of old and new! As the embroidery of Chikankari is detailed and heavy, it does well to lose excessive jewelry. A simple oversized or minimal pair of earrings shall suffice to complement the ensemble. The look can be topped off with an elegant watch or bracelet, to give the finishing touches.
- SKU of Lucknowi saree: Parul
- Style: Saree
- Color of Chikankari saree: Red
- Length of Chikan saree: 6.25 meters
- Touch & Feel: Soft and comfortable chikankari saree
- Fabric : Cotton
- Thread: Cotton thread
- Embroidery: Ulta Bakhiya
Chikankari, the finest white embroidery is an art from Persia. However, its origin is a debatable matter, but all the possibilities of its origin suggest that this embroidery was introduced into the Indian subcontinent with the landing of Persians.
Disclaimer: Our products are hand embroidered by expert artisans and may have slight dissimilarities that are a natural outcome of the human involvement in the process. These minor variations of Stitches/Motifs add to its charm and ensure you have a unique product.